Much of my creative problem-solving happens when I run.
I find running the hills around my village hard and I often end up having to break to a walk. There is a little golden moment of clarity when I’ve finally caught my breath at the top of the hill and my heart is pounding hard. Here, I have a ‘thank you’ moment for my health and life. Once the beats subside, I enter a flow-state bliss where I’m running with present awareness and able see answers to creative problems.
It doesn’t always work but the benefits of running/getting out alone are immeasurable to me.
My top tips to nurture a creative mindset:
- Practice mindfulness. Still, quiet time with your thoughts and letting them come and go without judgment.
- Get more sleep. Turn the screen off early to pick up a book instead.
- Move your body every day. Marvel in nature, walk, hike, run swim, surf or whatever – just move enough to get the blood pumping.
- Practice gratitude. For the good things in your life.
- Fuel yourself properly. With good, unprocessed food that’s ideally local – topped up with plenty of water of course!
Basic tips, right? But it’s very easy to slip when life gets busy so pick the small, achievable goals that you know you can keep up with. I wish you all creative clarity.